Sunday, August 24, 2008

Reading Material for the trip

This weekend Cor and I decided to take a trip to Powell's Bookstore to find some good reads to keep us entertained during our "OE", as Cor calls it. Altogether we ended up buying 7 books, which we'll add to our already growing pile destined for NZ. Maybe we'll have to a designate a whole bag for books?

Anyways, part of my repertoire of books is Shadow of the Hegemon, the second novel in the Ender's Shadow series. It's been a long time since I've read Orson Scott Card, but I'm excited to learn what happens next in the world of Bean.

For those of you who don't know, I was introduced to Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card by my 6th grade teacher, Mr. Fickes. It is a science fiction story about an extraordinary child, Ender Wiggin, who is sent to Battle School to become the greatest commander of the International Fleet. The IF is preparing for another invasion from the Buggers, an insectoid alien race.....Yeah, I know what you're all thinking....it's the same thing Corey thought when I bought Shadow of the Hegemon yesterday. What? You read sci-fi?

Well, I read Orson Scott Card and that's about where it ends! Just thought I'd let you all know how excited I was get back into the series...some of you who will read this remember listening to Mr. Fickes reading Ender's Game....and some of you have even named your cat after one of the book's characters! (Dink Meeker)

If you have any other suggestions on books, feel free to recommend!

No comments: