Monday, January 19, 2009

Consider me lucky

So in Corey's record of the past week's events, he forgot to mention that I lost my ipod. Yes...the one that I bought brand new from one of those Best Buy kiosks in the LAX airport, because I originally forgot my first ipod with all my belongs in Fremont. We were here at the internet cafe checking email and charging the ipods. And when we left, I must have forgotten to pick up my ipod. Unfortunately I didn't realize that I had left it or where I left it until at least a couple hours later. By then, I thought there'd be no chance of getting it back. In a cafe full of gamers, who wouldn't take the chance to pick up a free ipod? But we went back to the cafe anyways, and in some miracle, the guy working the counter had said someone had found it but didn't want to leave it in the Cyber Cafe's lost and found bin. He had left his name and number and when I called him he told me he had taken it to the police station. Wow, was I super lucky to have such an honest person find my ipod. So I went to the police station and the officer who helped me just had a smirk on his face the whole time. The kind that said you spoiled lucky kid. I get it. I was lucky. And ever so grateful that such a considerate and kind person was honest enough to turn it in.

But apparently my luck hadn't run out (thankfully)....
Monday there was no work, so as I think Corey mentioned we took off to see more of the Marlborough Sounds....Okiwi Bay and French Pass. At French Pass we decided to take a 15 minute hike down to the beach and enjoy the afternoon reading Time magazine's account of the upcoming challenges for the new president. But just as we were getting to the bottom, seriously we were 10 steps from the sand, I slipped on the steep decent. And instead of waiting for Corey to give me a hand of support, I decided to step backwards (don't ask me why) down this slippery slope. My foot caught a loose rock and I went tumbling. Like a full 360 degrees or more of a turn and landed at the bottom hitting my head against a tree. Corey was above and I can only imagine the whole thing going in slow motion over and over in his head. I AM OKAY MOM. I was lucky. I ended up with a couple bruises and scratches all over my body, a pretty sore big toe on my right foot, and a hole in my dress. I was a little shook up, but everything was okay. This morning I was a little sore and stiff, but I'm grateful I'm moving alright.

Tomorrow we are planning to wake up at 5:30 AM to watch the coverage on the inauguration and then a full day of leaf thinning in the fields.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Janwyn and Corey,
I just stumbled upon your blog and started reading about your adventures and you are having an awesome time!!! Your Mom just told me today about your harrowing experience - you are very lucky to be in one solid piece - no broken bones!! We look forward to seeing LOTS of pictures of this beautiful place. All is well with the Kroes family. Enjoy the rest of your trip and be safe! Love, Mary Lou