Thursday, December 11, 2008

Marama Farm

Hi all,
Marama Farm has been hosting us well. So far this week we've:
  • Been learning about soil chemistry
  • Met some of the Southern Otago farmers in the area over a delicious bbq of local meats
  • Understanding some of the affects of organic farming vs. traditional farming
  • Eating lots of lamb sausages (bbq-ed, boiled, fried)
  • Spring cleaning in the main house
  • Done a couple loads of laundry
  • Got Marama Organics setup with a Salesforce account (yes, sort of doing a little work!)
  • Got up at 6:00 AM this morning to observe Graham and Rose (the herding dog) shift sheep (aka move to a new paddock)
  • Watched a movie about Joel Salatin's Polyface Farm. Interestingly enough, I had read up on this subject in my book, The Omnivore's Dilemma.
  • Think I might subscribe to Acre's USA magazine when I get home
  • Packed frozen lamb sausages in 1 kg packages this afternoon at Churchy's butchery
  • Took Corey's picture next to what we think is the largest Brown Trout (another one of his "The World's Largest.... photos"\
  • Build a compost bin!
  • Made banana loaves -- yum!
  • Took down some fencing
  • Chopped firewood (ick -- blisters)
  • Enjoyed the fine company of Graham, Mitch, Walter, and Lolita!

3 comments:

AmyP said...

I realized the other day that while I've been following your adventure closely, reading every post with interest, that I never comment, so you really wouldn't know. =) Glad to have this way to keep up with the both of you.

Unknown said...

Man! You guys have been busy. I'm glad you are having such a great time. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to live vicariously through your adventures while I am actually sitting in my cubicle at work wishing someone sat in the cubicle next to me that I could throw stuff at.

Trevor

Corey said...

Hi Trev,

So they haven't found anyone who would sit next to you there, huh? Weird.

It's not made into a honorary memorial to me is it? That would be even stranger!